You are detail oriented and enjoy solving a challenging problem. Your intellectual curiosity leads you to analyze beyond the obvious answer and persevere until you can identify and explain the original source of errors. You recognize the importance of structured procedures but also welcome the opportunity to have an impact in eliminating inefficiency and designing new solutions. A variety of work tasks energizes you and you enjoy growing your skillset by taking on new responsibilities as they arise.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for executing and assisting in many aspects of the day-to-day financial operations of the agency by accurately recording revenues, expenditures, assets, and liabilities. The Staff Accountant touches many aspects of the agency’s financial operations, including billing, cash management, general ledger analysis & reporting, taxes, and fixed assets.
In general, most of the time will be spent performing the following responsibilities:
Billing and Client Financial Support:
- Monitors status of accumulated time and expenses on client jobs to ensure that costs are promptly billed. Alerts Brand Management team and Senior Accounting Manager when significant cost overages are noted.
- Monitors and analyzes client budgets and estimates to determine future billing.
- Creates, finalizes, and distributes client production billing, working with the Brand Management team and Senior Accounting Manager.
- Creates, finalizes, and reconciles client pre-billed media invoices for assigned clients, supported by the Accounting Associate.
- Routinely reconciles production pre-bills to actual OOP costs incurred, working with the Senior Accounting Manager and Brand Management team to finalize and communicate results to clients.
- Support Brand Management team and Senior Accounting Manager in the creation and maintenance of budget variances and other client facing reports.
- Prepares daily cash report and assists with updates to weekly cash flow forecast, providing information to Senior Accounting Manager.
- Creates General Ledger journal entries for income and expenses that effect daily cash report.
- Prepares monthly reconciliations for all bank accounts, reporting discrepancies to Senior Accounting Manager.
- Enter select vendor invoices and employee expense reports supported by the Accounting Associate.
- Gathers electronic media vendor invoices from broadcast internet sites and create digital documents.
- Assist Accounting Associate to process purchase card statement activity obtaining proper receipts/invoices and approvals.
- Prepares monthly client income reports and reconcile sales journal to income statement.
- Assist Senior Accounting Manager with monthly analysis of select General Ledger expense and balance sheet accounts.
- Assist Senior Accounting Manager with annual financial audit preparation and administration.
Taxes & Reporting:
- Prepares monthly sales tax spreadsheet and assists Senior Accounting Manager with sales and use tax reporting and return preparation.
- Obtains and maintains files of W-4 forms from vendors.
- Assist with annual preparation of 1099 forms.
Fixed Asset Management:
- Analyze fixed asset purchases and activity.
- Track and record fixed asset dispositions and perform physical inventory as needed.
- Update fixed assets schedules quarterly and communicate changes to Senior Accounting Manager.
In addition, the position involves other duties such as:
- Performs follow-up on accounts receivable assigned by Senior Accounting Manager
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance strongly preferred.
- 2 – 5 years hands on experience in accounting, finance, or a related field.
- Experience in an advertising agency or professional services environment preferred.
- Experience with Advantage ERP system preferred.
Excellent technology skills, strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize against deadlines. Able to work independently, good communication and people skills and able to work well as part of a team.
Proficiency working with Microsoft Office Software, especially Excel, Word, and Outlook. Knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Accounting theory.
Position requires credit check and complete background check.